Posted by Bonnie and Ian St. Germaine
- 30 oz. drained chickpeas (2 cans)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise (you can find this in the refrigerated section in most health food stores, maybe supermarkets, www.followyourheart.com/) – add more to taste
- 1/2 tbl lemon juice or more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I am a salt freak and like it salty like my old comfort food, tuna salad)
- Secret ingredient (optional, if you can find it): Nori flakes or other seaweed flakes (these are found with condiments like seasalt, again in the health food store and maybe at your supermarket often called Sea Shakes. Sea Shakes come in different flavors. My favorite is the spicy one)
- Mash chickpeas with potato masher
- Add remaining ingredients; stir to combine
- Serve on fresh, whole-grain bread with tomato and lettuce
Ian’s note – I’ve made this so many times, and never get tired of it. Everyone I’ve shared this with, from Vegans to Carnivores, LOVE IT! Sometimes I use a bit more Vegenaise, sometimes extra pickles and onions, whatever I feel like. Tastes great on a Trader Joe’s Habanero wrap with TJ’s olive tappenade (found with the hummus, not in a jar) and some lettuce, or right out of the bowl with a spoon! This is a perfect staple to have in the fridge!
Leave out the pickles and put a 1/2 can of finely chopped artichoke hearts in instead.