The City of Somerville has notified us about construction happening at the Cedar/Highland intersection, which happens to be right where our Somerville studio is located. We will be open with regular classes during this time, but please plan your travel to and from the studio with this extra congestion in mind, especially for daytime classes.
Here is the information we have from the city:
**UPDATE FRIDAY MARCH 16: Construction is delayed — new start date TBD.
Beginning on [tbd], and continuing during weekdays for approximately 3 weeks, City contractors will be conducting work at the intersection of Highland Ave. and Cedar St. that will require the full closure of the intersection from 7 a.m. until approximately 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. If necessary, crews may also work on Saturdays, however additional notification will be made prior to any weekend work. This construction is part of the Cedar Street Water & Sewer Project that is anticipated to wrap up later this year.
During work hours, traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Eastbound on Highland: Right on Cherry St., left on Summer St., left on Lowell St., right on Highland Ave.
- Eastbound on Highland to Cedar St.: Left on Willow Ave., right on Morrison Ave., left on Cedar St.
- Westbound on Highland: Left on Porter St., right on Summer St., right on Willow Ave., left on Highland Ave.
- Cedar St. Southbound (from Broadway): Right on Morrison Ave., left on Willow Ave., right on Highland Ave. to follow detours above.
- Westbound: Left on Central St., right on Summer St., right on Willow Ave., back to Highland Ave.
- Eastbound: Continue through Davis Square onto Summer St., left on Central St., back to Highland Ave.
At the end of each work day the intersection will be reopened for vehicles. Detours will remain in place between 7 a.m. and approximately 3:30 p.m.
Also please note that businesses in this area will remain open during construction, and will be accessible by vehicle as long as it is safe to do so. Where possible, we recommend parking outside the marked work zone.
Due to the nature of the work, and in order to complete necessary repairs as quickly as possible, the intersection must be closed during the morning commute. Therefore, if your normal morning commute passes through or nearby the Highland Ave./Cedar St. intersection, please allow some extra travel time or seek alternate routes. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, but appreciate your patience as we work to update our aging underground infrastructure.
If you have questions or concerns, please call 311 (617-666-3311). Thank you.
So that’s what we know! We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep you updated if we get more details.